"Rise And Shine"


"Rise And Shine"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen

Rise and Shine never really captured my attention. Although it was beautifully drawn. A very anime cartoon look to it. It was over before I really could get to excited. They did some things right, but a lot more wrong in my opinion. It isn't a bad game don't get me wrong. I think if your looking for a short game to play one evening , and you really don't have much time to game it could be fun. If your looking for something more in depth, and fun it really falls kind of short.
There are tons of jokes, blood and guts, and bullet hell. Kind of feels like Contra meets Castle Crashers. I even kind of struggle with this review, because after hours with it I don't love it, yet I don't hate it . I think it is a good game, I just don't think it is great.
It feels like it is going to be clever , and different but it never really gets anywhere before it comes to a end.I enjoyed my play through, but know I'm never going back to it. The replay value just isn't there, and neither is the real fun. I kind of feel they finished the game, and realized it was short so tried to make it more difficult to make it feel longer.
I think there is a lot of things that would have made this game better. It felt a lot like Metal Slug at times, and capturing their style would have helped. This game being coop, and have lives, instead of starting completely over would have made it a blast. Even if just couch coop the beautiful level design, comedic charm, and blood and guts would have made this a classic side scroller shoot-em up.
The story was good though, and the twists and turns delivered,I really wanted to like this game more. The length of the game, and the respawn mechanic just really ruined it for me. I could see people enjoying it though. I actually did at times, I just think the final result left me wanting and expecting more. It was really a game I looked forward to, and that could have been a reason to. I'm not going to say pass on it, but I can't say I'd recommend it either Im kind of just on the fence with this one. You can tell they put the work into it visually,and mechanically it looks and feels amazing but I just think they tried to do to much when it came time to throw the mechanics together.

Pros: Very comical story writing
Beautiful level and character design
Fun sounds, and music

Cons: Respawn mechanic takes away from fun
Way to short even for Indie title
Repetitive

Overall: 6.8 It isn't a bad game, it just really never gets to what you are expecting. It is a decent game if you have time on your hands, but If you have a lot of other stuff to play it's probably a pass on this one.

Comments

Popular Posts