"Sylvio"


"Sylvio"
Reviewed by: Carless

Sylvio is a first person survival horror game, that takes a really different approach then most games. It isn't loaded with jump scares like you'd expect from most games like this. The horror aspects from this one come from sound, and atmosphere. You play as paranormal investigator Juliette Waters and the use of EVP is something I don't recall ever being done before. I really enjoyed that, as i spent a lot of time doing Paranormal investigation myself in real life. It is very interesting in game, but also sometimes leads to a slow and boring repetitive amount of time as well. I could see some people being bored with this very quickly, because it isn't action packed, and the graphics can be kind of dark and bland at times. I will admit there was a lot of times i stepped away from it for awhile. I think that is the best way to actually play this game. With that being said, i also had a lot of fun with it as well. You have to appreciate the fact that Niklas Swanberg completely designed the game himself. That being said, you'd expect it to be really short. You'd be very wrong. You can tell a lot of time went into this game, and you really get your money's worth. It took me about 14 hours to complete this, which is really amazing for a Steam/XBox marketplace Indie title.
I think most horror fans will appreciate it, and I think it fits right in there with a lot of the other greats in the genre. While fitting in it also kind of sticks out, because of its uniqueness. I don't think you've ever played anything like Sylvio. The closest thing I can think of is Fatal Frame that used a different type of art in photography to deliver a similar type experience. I can't recommend this to all horror fans though, because a lot of the times it is slow. I also can't put it in my top horror games of all times list. but I can put it on the list of horror games that surprised me, and entertained. I think i'd really recommend it to real horror fans that have played about everything else, and are looking for something else. Looking for something different. Sylvio is just one of those games that it is hard to review, and hard to find things to say about it. One of those games that are going to have people that just love it, and some people who think its slow and boring. Myself i really found it as a decent fresh take on horror games. I had fun, but wasn't blown away by it at anytime.

Pros: Creepy Atmosphere
Spooky Sounds
Original Concept
For a one person indie project, good quality and depth
Cons: Boring and Repetitive at times.
Not visually amazing

Overall: 7.0 A horror game for people exhausted by the genre, and looking for a different take on it. Loads of Atmosphere, and audio scares.


Comments

Popular Posts