Shiny


"Shiny"
Developer: Garage 227 Studios
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Platform: Xbox One
Shiny is a game about a adorable robot named Kramer 227 brought to you by a small team at Garage 227 Studios coincidence? Hmmm? Kramer is trying save all of his friend robots, because his planet Aurora is doomed. All the humans left behind all his buddies, the worker robots. Kramer must save them all while collecting batteries to power the generator. I don't want to spoil anything, but accomplishing this mission really makes the difference at the end.
Kramer is adorable reminds me a little of Atlas 2 in Portal 2. I think I adored him a little more though, so my first play through ending had me wanting to go back through the levels, and make sure to collect all the batteries, and robots. I really wish they had a figure of Kramer, because he is a really gnarly little robot. I enjoyed my adventure with him. it took about 3 hours. It really isn't overly difficult, but there are some parts that might get you when trying to find everything as you revisit the levels. To 100% it it is going to take about 5 to 6 hours. You'll enjoy playing it over though, and the achievements are rather simple and fun to collect. The final result will be worth it as well to you. The levels change a lot so it isn't repetitive at all. Some levels are about making jumps, everything is timing and the controls are spot on. One level is racing against the screen and a emergency event you can't let catch up with you. I really enjoyed this, and wish there were more. Some levels seem tougher, and some are over before you know it.
The environments all look different, but have a steampunk apocalypse feel and appearance to them. They look dirty, but that fits perfectly into the story. I loved the music. I can't express that enough. I was really taken by surprise by the beautiful music and sounds in Shiny. The robots sounded cool, and some really beautiful piano really caught my attention a couple times. I'd say this is one of the best soundtracks in a Indie title this year. I'd put the music up there with a lot of the bests. I may even have liked it even more than the new "Life Is Strange".
I didn't have many issues like I had read from other reviewers on the PC version. I had a couple times were I fell, and just kept falling on level 6 I believe it was, but was easy to just restart the level. Have to expect things like this before the game is even released. Plus it only happened twice so not a major deal to me.
I think "Shiny" is really worth taking a look at. If your one of those gamers like me, who love to grab a quick Indie some evenings to raise your gamer score or just not get to invested in a game that is going to take up a bunch of your time, and stress you out certainly grab this. It will be a delightful evening of adorable characters, and wonderful music. I promise your going to love Kramer , and his little adventure.
Pros: Wonderful Characters
Beautiful Music
Challenging levels without over doing it
Relaxing game play, and delightful story
Cons: Couple levels extremely short
Couple glitches, but not to bad really
Overall: 8.4 "Shiny" is a indie game made by a small team, that delivered a adorable gigantic personality in Kramer 227. Kramer's adventure really is a can't miss for fans of Indies, and Xbox Marketplace arcade titles. Do yourself a favor grab "Shiny" on release date.
For more info on this title check out:
http://www.garage227studios.com


Comments

Popular Posts