oOo: Ascension:


oOo: Ascension:
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Platform: Xbox One
Developer: : Kenny Creanor
Publisher: EM Studios

As gamers we are always looking for something new. Something that we really haven't seen before, and something to renew our love for gaming. As a gamer everyone knows what I'm talking about, or for anyone who plays games for the purpose of reviewing them. You play so many games it starts to all feel the same, and the repetition starts to sit in.Some times it can even make you think about taking a break from it. Then something comes along totally different. Something so unique, and you find yourself glued to it. You find yourself so immersed into it, and unable to step away from it. oOo: Ascension is that type of game. Everything about it is unique, even the menu. You start it up, and there is no writing at all in any of the menus. Just shapes to guide you. Feels really futuristic and alien. When I first started it, I kind of thought this is what it would be like to wander onto a alien ship while trapped on another planet, and have to try and figure out how to fly it away for your escape. It just feels really fresh. I always try to make a comparison when doing a review so I can say hey you liked so and so title this might be fore you. How ever with this it is really hard. I would say it is kind of a blend of "Spectre" meets "Marble Madness" but that comparison is so far out in left field. It is so far more detailed, and advanced then those two titles.
In Ascension your objective is to get your ship from point A to point B in a certain amount of time. As long as you finish it you can advance though, so the time thing is mainly for Achievement purposes or bragging rights. I can understand why they do this, because a lot of the time just finishing a level is an accomplishment. Ascension is a really challenging game, that requires pinpoint accuracy at times. The controls are spot on, it really always feels fair, even if you want to blame the game for your failure like we all like to do at times. Make sure you have a good controller and there is now sway in the analog stick, because perfection is really required in this game a lot of the time. If you like a good challenge you will really enjoy this title. That being said it might not be for everyone. I hate saying this when talking about a great game like this. I really do believe everyone should try it, and this game should see a lot of success ,but as always there is reality and it won't appeal to every one. You have those casual gamers that like a stress free game that they can relax and enjoy, and I don't think this is it. This game is for the more hard core gamers that sit down controller in hand, focused and feeling like they want to feel some Accomplishment today. To those gamers this really will get your adrenaline flowing.
There is 90 levels broke down into sections of 10. Each one introduces a new obstacle, while also mixing in the previous ones as well. The last level really brings it though, I have spent over a hour trying to beat the final level of a stage dying many of times. It almost feels like a boss at times. Its ok to die though you can just restart it, and there are achievements for doing so. One for even dying 1000 times which I probably had by Area 6. There are no checkpoints so it is a lot of doing the same level over , and over until you conquer it. Then you will probably revisit it later trying to improve your time. It can be a grind which I love. I love being challenged in games, and that feeling when you accomplish your task. Sort of like in Dark Souls when you finally defeat Ornstein and Smough on your own. It really delivers that Dark Souls feel without a lot of the rewards though. Might be one of my only complaints. High risk with little reward. Like in Dark Souls when you win you rewarded with a totally different looking area, or a weapon that feels special to you. With Ascension the area changes very little, and you really don't unlock anything new. I'm not a developer by any means, just a player but I feel would have been cool to unlock some different looking or least colored ships, and maybe the levels changed a little more to where it felt totally different. Don't get me wrong, and take this as a big negative, because it isn't. Ascension is a one of a kind game, and maybe with no question one of the best games I played this year, and in my opinion a top 5 puzzler of all times. It is just a small critique even the Witcher 3 and God Of War there are small things I think could make it a little bit better. I mention those, because I believe oOo: Ascension ranks right up there with those in the puzzler game genre. It is really one of the greats. I find it hard to believe at times, that it is Indie, and a new developer it feels so perfect ,and polished.
I really think everyone should try this game, if you like Puzzle games. Or maze type quests with obstacles. I feel this is one of the best games of the year, and should be mentioned in the same sentence with other Indie Game of the Years. I know when I pick my winners this year it will be in mind. So do yourself a favor and if you own a Xbox One come May 25th pick it up, and let me know what you think.

Pros: A real challenge
Unique idea, and menu layout
Beautiful bright neon colored levels
Fun retro sounding music
Fresh feeling gameplay

Cons: Little reward for difficult challenges, besides the feeling of accomplishment

Overall: 9.7 One of the best and most unique puzzlers of our time, without a doubt a must play for puzzling fans. Kenny Creanor's first game on the Xbox One is one I feel cements it's place in the history of the puzzling genre for years to come.


Comments

Popular Posts