"Drake Hollow Preview"


"Drake Hollow Preview"
Previewed by: Carless Yen
Developer: The Molasses Flood
Release Date: July 17th 2020
Price: Game Pass on Launch

I hate to praise a game as much as I am about to do with "Drake Hollow" while it is still in Beta because you don't know what changes will be made by launch, but I'm going to. I just really had a hard time putting this game down long enough to do a video and written review for it. I say the first thing I do after putting this across all of our social medias will be grabbing my controller and heading back to the Hollow to protect my Drakes. To bad it hasn't launched yet because i'd love to have some of my buddies jump in and play with me. Oh well July will be here before you know it, and I'm sure to still be playing this adorable little game still at launch. I hope a lot of you are as well, because i'd love to see this one do well. It really deserves to. It is just so beautifully developed and fun that I'm hoping to hear tons of success for it.
    You start out creating your own character and the customization is really in depth. The art style really reminds me of Fortnite. I'm not a huge fan of Fortnite. but Drake Hollow is another story. I love how it looks, and I especially love the sounds. The cute sounds the Drakes make, to the vicious roars of the enemies you come across in the Hollow. Maybe even more than that the beautiful soundtrack. I really, really enjoyed the music in this game. It is so relaxing and beautiful, and ramps up perfectly during attacks and other dangerous situations you find yourself in. You wonder across different Islands in search of Drakes and resources to take care of the Drakes you find. They all return to your camp upon discovery, and must be cared for there. They need the essentials food, water, and fun. They can even die from boredom, so you have to keep a eye out on your meter to know what they need. Make sure gardens are growing and have a full stock of berries. Make sure you have working wells or plenty of juice boxes. Make sure they have plenty of Puppets for puppet shows , or Yoga balls to bounce on. It is just a blast to sit and watch them love all the things you give them. They are so cute, and I can sit and watch them hug puppets for hours. Don't get to comfy though because those evil creatures you run into in the wild of the Hollow will also attack your base.
    There will be a timer letting you know they are coming though. So you must plan out your resource gathering and get back in time for the attack. there will be a set amount of enemies you must destroy. They will drop items as well as crystals you can use to level up your Drakes. The Drakes will grow in size and experience, but still stay just as adorable. When they grow up it also goes to your camp XP as well. You can level them both up, and build items to protect your Drakes during these attacks.Put up fences and even weapons to fight off attacks. It all isn't just violence though at camp, you will need to build treadmills and such to generate power to run certain things like upgraded work benches. You will love admiring and watching your camp grow as it levels up. You will also need resources that you just can't find on your own little island so you will have to wander out into the world to find them. Yes there is a bird there that will trade you shiny things for items, but you still will have to journey out to the other islands.
   The many islands are surrounded by creepy dark waters, that you must create a item with your crystals to evaporate the water around you for a certain amount of time to cross between each area, When the timer runs out you have to use another item or hurry through it. If you stay in it to long you will die, and be taken back to camp. Don't worry these crystals are super hard to find, and after you discover the islands you can make a way point that allows you to travel across it, and even have resources travel across it as well. So you find a truck full of something you need a lot of, you can connect it to the way point and watch it travel back to camp on it's own. You have to clear off the islands first though. Each are about a square mile, and are loaded with infestations and nests you must destroy. Basic little briarpatch looking things you can melee away. Once you do it will tell you how many more remain. Some will be hard to find though. The are will be loaded with enemies as well. You never know what you will face so its good to bring a lot of health, and some times even one of the items that fast travel you back to camp. Out on the Islands you won't find only just resources and enemies there are plenty of secrets and other characters as well. We won't spoil that for you though.
So it's a long time until July, and I feel sorry for those who have to wait to play this awesome little title. Trust me though it is certainly worth your wait. It just feels really unique and plays so flawlessly. I know a lot of others besides just myself are really going to enjoy this one. If you plan on grabbing it let us know. Love to have some people to explore the hollow with. Until then though let me get back to my Drakes. I'm sure they miss me as much as I miss them. They are constantly giving me little gifts to let me know how much they love me.
Pros:
Adorable and Addictive Fun
Beautiful, Beautiful Music
Runs Really Well and Smooth Controls
Online COOP
Cons:
I have no one to play it with yet.

Overall: 9.2
I hate scoring games this early you never know what will change, but I love Drake Hollow's Beta product. If this game is anything like this at launch i think Molasses Flood as a hit on their hands. I really can't wait for this to hit Game Pass , to play with some of my gaming buddies.

Comments

Popular Posts