SOMA


"SOMA"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Platform: Xbox One X

Soma is a first person science fiction horror game that offers something new the ability to play safe mode. You can experience all the horror of the creatures, and terrifying atmosphere it delivers. That wasn't me though, I actually like the ability to fail even though there isn't a ton of failure to be had in Soma. The monsters are few and far between, and most the scares comes from the creepy environments.There are some creatures though that pose a decent challenge though, and kind of feel like bosses.
Besides just atmosphere Soma delivers on a great science fiction style story. It almost feels like BioShock and Half Life at times with just less action, and more wandering dark areas like in Outlast. The story and characters are great though. it really pulls you in, and you find yourself being invested in some of the robots you come across. I've read reviews where people said the voice acting was kind of cheap, and I have to disagree. I've played games with far worse, and I really enjoyed the conversations with your guide. At times she felt like Glados, and was expecting her to screw me over in the end.
The true beauty of Soma though is without question PATHOS-II a underwater facility where your trying to get from one section to another undetected, and save humanity in the end. You make your way through dark corridors, and deep underneath the ocean, and it really feels like your there at times. It feels a lot like I did when I played the new Stealth horror Alien game, but with less stress from dying so much.
I really can't say to much bad about Soma its one of the best horror games I played this year. And one of the best stories I've experienced probably only second to What Remains of Edith Finch. I think If you enjoy horror and sci-fi games your gonna love this. It actually is pretty decent ingame length as well. Doesn't really give you much replay value, but certainly is a can't miss title on the one play through enjoyment alone.

Pros: Creepy and Realistic atmosphere
Entertaining Science Fiction Horror Story
Eery Music and sounds
Enjoyable voice acting

Cons: Not much replay value

Overall: 8.7 Soma is a can't miss for fans of the genre. It's atmosphere alone makes it a delight, and a can't miss title this year.


Comments

Popular Posts