"Rigid Force Redux"


"Rigid Force Redux"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Publisher: Headup Games
Developer: com8com1
Platforms: XBOX and Switch
Release Date: 6/5/2020
Price: 19.99

In the 80's there was a game called "Life Force" from Konami, or "Salamander" if you lived in Japan. I used to play this game like crazy on the NES. I just loved the environments and how you had to adapt to them.I remember putting the Contra code in over and over because it was super challenging. I remember just "EPIC" boss battles that would stay in my memory for ever. "Rigid Force Redux" gave me a pleasant return to that feeling on a modern console. SHMUPS are one of my favorite type of games. So I'm always excited to see a new one to review, and "Rigid Force Redux" doesn't disappoint. I actually think it would be one of the top 3 this Gen, if not the best. I'm trying to think of ones that are better or even compare and "Sine Mora" is the only thing that comes to mind, and that's really last gen. The same with "Aegis Wing" I've always go to throw that game in there I know it. It's just so under rated. I spent hours and hours on that on my XBOX 360. And it was free so that made it even better. Rigid Force though is so well developed that I just can't think of another one better. So let's see why I think it's so amazing.

First off the graphics and level designs are amazing. It is really hard to imagine a SHMUP looking this good. Every single level varies from the others. Not only with new back drops, but also with new enemies. You have lava snow, desert, space, just about everything. The enemies all fit into their areas as well. The environments are loaded with traps to keep you on your toes. Like Life Force you never know what the danger lies ahead hidden in the level. Falling Ice, electricity, lava, and so much more to watch out for while battling wave and wave of enemies. It's a ton of fun, and there are different skill levels that makes it fun for every type player. The easy isn't super easy though it will still give you a decent challenge. You have continues but they are limited, but you need not worry you can pick up right where you left off in the menu. the only thing is you won't gather a as high of a score as if you did it all in one run. The scores show up on the leader boards, and there is an achievement for high scores.

Speaking of Achievements they are a blast and encourage replay. The whole game really encourages replay though with its other game modes you can unlock. Arcade mode where you play a level and can get bronze, silver, or gold medals for it. This level wants you to build up score and complete quickly while secondary objectives pop up like saving lost space men scattered a long the level. There is also another mode called Boss Mode where you try to beat all the bosses in a row. Trying to beat them all without dying. Sounds super tough but it's doable. Mainly because you pick up power ups before getting to them. I now realize I never talked about the power up while describing the game. So let's rewind a little and do so. While fighting enemies and during boss battles they will drop things. Power Ups and Energy. The Power Ups can be bombs you drop automatically while flying over enemies, Different types of attacks. The Spread gun like in Contra, A straight stream of Bullets, or a green attack that goes every where and even chases enemies. The green is my favorite.You can also grab extra cannons that can be adjusted to shoot different directions, even behind you. I experienced a glitch where cannons would show up in a black pixel box on the screen in some areas. I'm sure they will fix this though soon, and it's one of the only two issues I had with the entire game. The energy the enemies drop can be used to fire a charged up more powerful beam that does a lot of damage, or can be used to use your blade. The blade wacks and destroys incoming bullets, which is excellent if you can't avoid some thing. You pick up the energy by flying into it or you can use your attract beam to pull them in. It covers a small area though, and slows you down so you have to decide the best way to approach in every situation.

The music was really excellent as well. Original synthwave soundtrack by Dreamtime featuring Michael Chait. It blends really nice with the action of the levels and the cut scenes. The opening cut scene is just epic, and had to use it in my review video. all of the sounds of the game are really done well especially the voice acting. You have a ship companion, and who ever the voice actress is did an amazing job. She really gets you excited going into new mission areas. I always complain about having to read games,but say small indie so guess couldn't afford professional voice actors. I usually follow with I'd rather hear bad voice acting then none, so let a Dev or some one do it. This is a small game, and it's still some the best voice acting I've heard so lot of people need to pay attention to this. It's outstanding voice acting, and this game is just outstanding development all around.

The game play is so smooth and error/glitch free almost. Like I said early the pixel issue in a few spots which I'm sure they are already working on. The only other issue I had was getting stuck in a few spots. Like parts of the map where it wouldn't let me go down or up to get back onto the map, and it just made me take the hits and die. Only had happen a couple of times. Overall I was having a blast for hours, but the small minor issues kept me from giving this a 10. These things get ironed out, I'll have no problem putting this on my top 10 Shmups of all time. It is really a unforgettable experience, and a game that will be begged to play over and over. I'd love for them to add Coop be a blast to play with friends. Until then though see you all in the leader boards.

Well designed levels, and they are gorgeous.
Rad soundtrack from Dreamtime featuring Michael Chait.
Some really excellent voice acting.
Some totally cool Bosses and enemies.
Loaded with replay value.
Fun Achievements

Some pixel issues on cannons
Get stuck on certain things at times.
Could been a little longer

Like you probably read in my review I love SHMUPS, and I consider this one of the best ever. I'd put it up there against some of the greats, and if this is your genre it's a can't miss.


Comments

Popular Posts