Mask of Mists

 

  • Reviewer: Console Carl
  • Publisher: SometimesYou
  • Developer: 9 Eyes Game Studio
  • Platforms: Steam, Xbox, Playstation, Switch
  • Release Date: 9/2/2020
  • Price:14.99 Pre-order: 11.99

In "Mask Of Mists" you play as a Mercenary on a quest to find a missing Archmage that went missing from the Academy. He hasn't responded or returned while doing research in the Depths of the infected lands. An area full of creatures from the Abyss. You start out unarmed and must find a weapon as well as other items to craft things to aid you on your adventure. You will find Swords and Guns as well as finding things to create Bombs, Healing potions, and so much more. The view is first person so you feel like you are right there in the Quest at times. It really gave me a "Fable" meets "Slime Rancher" type vibe. The art style is just quality like those, and the soundtrack is excellent as well. I even got a little Zelda feel from it as well with it's exploration, puzzles, traps, and hidden areas. There is just so much to discover on your quest, and I felt like I was hooked really quick. I actually sat down and finished it in one sitting. Taking me around 3 to 4 hours to 100% it.

It has some really easy Achievements/Trophies for you hunters out there. I never had to look a single one up. I got them all my first play through. That is something known for SometimesYou published games though. Affordable and an easy completion. The game isn't super challenging at all. There are plenty of health items, and the enemies don't really respawn. You can always tell if you've been to a area this way. Most of the difficulty comes from the puzzles. They aren't going to make you give up on your adventure though. I think I only struggled with a couple of them. It feels really good to solve them and hear your path open up as well or see your new item there before you. I love games that have this type of exploration as well. Where you have to find certain items to open up new areas in your quest. I also enjoy these games not full of cut scenes, and people talking your ear off. The quest is laid out in clues that you must figure out on your own. There is something satisfying about this to me.

I really can't express how much this one caught me by surprise. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. I literally couldn't step away from it. Every time I found a new sword, gun, or item I couldn't wait to try it out or figure out how it was used. It wasn't super difficult to figure out either. I think maybe twice I got stuck once on a puzzle with gemstones, and the other finding the last mask. It's not a game that is going to stress you out. You will figure it out if you keep looking and trying things. The are isn't huge,but it makes you think about how to get to the next location. The Dungeons aren't huge, but there is six of them as well as a few caves. It isn't a huge game, but for the price you get a lot.

So before we end this let me just tell you why I loved this so much. I will even tell you a couple things I didn't love as well. I love how it looks. Like i said it really gave me a Slime Rancher art style. Cartoon like. Really bright and colorful. I loved the music, I found myself just letting it play while I wrote this review. I really enjoyed all the music, but the music in your home base I especially enjoyed. I loved the exploration it really feels like a Zelda game in this area. Solving puzzles, blowing up and finding hidden walls, using potions, and just in so many other ways the exploration takes me back to the NES/SNES Zelda titles. The combat and controls are so smooth and quick and the Adventure is so much fun. I really felt like I was playing a FPS Fable , and I'm not talking about the Kinect version lol. Your quest is just so enjoyable and addictive that it's hard to sit down the controller. It's also so much fun you will probably come back to it at a later date as well.

So I promised some Cons. I might have lied to you, because there isn't a lot I didn't enjoy about it. It's taking a lot of thinking to come up with something bad to say about this. I guess you could say things like it is short, or maybe to easy but really it isn't considering the price point for it. 3 to 4 Hours with replay value and a ton of fun just doesn't sound bad to me at all. I really , really had a good time with this title. I hope to see more from these Developers, and wouldn't mind more from this same world. I'd love to go on another Adventure designed by 9 Eye Games, and hopefully I do soon

  • Beautiful World to explore.
  • Smooth controls and combat
  • Tons of puzzles and hidden areas
  • Just a really fun Adventure
  • Addicting exploration and game play
  • World is kind of small.
  • Enemies can feel repetitive.
  • Some might feel it's short.

I'm not saying it is as good as Fable or Zelda don't get me wrong. I'm just saying there is a lot of things I loved about this game that i also enjoyed about those classics. I really did enjoy my time with it, and I think you will to. It is an Adventure you can finish in a evening, and will want to return back to it again at a later date. I see a lot of people doing the same as me, and starting and finishing this the same day. That is okay in my opinion some times we don't want to invest days and days into a game. Some times we want an unforgettable journey we can 100% after dinner and before bed. That is what "Masks of Mists" delivers. I know I won't forget my time with it.


Comments

Popular Posts