Mortal Shell Review

 

  • Reviewer: Console Carl
  • Developer: Cold Symmetry
  • Publisher: Playstack
  • Release Date: 8/18/2020
  • Price: 29.99
  • Platforms: XBOX, STEAM, Playstation, Epic

It’s no mystery how big of a Dark Souls fan I am. I’ve prob finished the first one over 50 times, so i was excited to see Mortal Shell finally pop up in my email. Spoiler alert for this review’s final score from the very start, but I loved it. I feel it might be the closest we have got so far to feeling that need for a Souls 4. Don’t get me wrong I really , really enjoyed “Hellpoint” but it was something totally different overall. It was like a “Souls” meets “Dead Space” experience. Mortal Shell emulates the original a lot better. Even the menus have the same feeling. It isn’t exact though it does one major thing different. Hardening instead of using of shield play. You can turn into stone and absorb one attack. You can do this mid attack, and even in the air so it lends to some really interesting attack play. It also some times lends to a repetitive attack style as well though. You will find some people double attack, harden, attack over and over. If you don’t get your self stuck in that routine though, you will find yourself doing some really cool maneuvers.

You play as a mysterious wraith type creature who is very weak and can only take on shot. So you must find human warriors or shells as they are called to possess. That also lends to an original mechanic where you lose all your health , and are knocked out of the body. You have to get back into it with out being hit. if you can you get a full health bar. You can do this once per life. I know this might make this sound easy, but it truly isn’t. To be honest this can feel like more of a struggle than actual Souls at first. The game can be Hell, but finding the right character and upgrades can really help. I recommend just trying everything out your first play through. As a Souls fan I like to encourage exploring, but if you feel like giving up certainly try a walk through first. It’s worth experiencing it all, and hate to see people give up on it. There are a lot of excellent vids out there, that will help you find essential items that will make it so much easier.

The 4 characters are so different and encourage different play styles. They have different upgrades that will be so useful as well. There is a huge Knight with a giant health bar I recommend finding if you are new to Souls Like games and are struggling. He can take a lot of punishment. There is a character that doesn’t lose stamina while running, and can lose Stamina on contact instead of Health. This is one of my favorites. The first one you find Horrus is also good for beginners. He is a completely balanced build, and his upgrade focus is on hardening. All 4 are fun to use, and learn though. The only thing is upgrades are important so you might want to find which you like first instead of trying to upgrade all four. There are also four different weapons as well. You have to defeat a secondary boss using that weapon to get these.The weapons and Shells are all stored in the first tower you come to. So you can change any time you want. There are even items that will let you change characters in mid battle. Like the upgrading with Shells you might want to pick the weapon you like as well to get it fully upgraded. You can actually get one really strongly upgraded before even facing the first boss.

These Bosses are a real struggle. You will think you got them after a tough battle just to realize they all have 2 phases, and health bars. So you have to beat them twice pretty much while they do a totally different and more aggressive attack pattern the second time. The good thing though the lady who saves and upgrades you is right at that boss battle so you don’t have to grind out the level over and over. If you have to leave to upgrade a weapon or something you also open up short cuts where you could with ease just sprint right back there. I really enjoyed the differences in the Bosses, and learning their attacks. I got my ass kicked a few times I won’t lie. Like I said it can be a challenge until you discover the weapons and shells you prefer.

Another area it isn’t like Dark Souls is the level design. This in more of negative way this time though. Don’t get me wrong I’ve heard people say they were bored by the swamp area that holds everything together, but I enjoyed it. I loved the tunnels you can crawl through and seeing frogs bounce around. It was all just small to me though. There is three boss areas where you can go, and they look really good. They do have the Souls level feels, but they are really small. It doesn’t have that huge world that changes up over and over like a Souls game. Then again it is also a $30 dollar game instead of $60. So I think you get a lot for that price. It will take you about 16 to 20 hours, and that is a lot for the price tag. I’m just saying this because I loved it so much would have liked to seen this expanded. I really hope for more from them soon. Right now there is no plans for a Souls 4 as I know so would love to have seen these guys be able to give us a huge release. I hope this succeeds , and they decide to do a sequel. They certainly have come closer to any one else at capturing that “From Software” vibe.

Well in closing if you’ve stumbled upon our review, and you’re a fan of Souls I want you to know I highly recommend this to you. I honestly can say this is as close to Souls as you will get right now, and you won’t regret throwing $30 dollars at this one. You are going to struggle at times,and feel rewarded when getting by a new enemy to discover a new area just like in Souls. Only things not here you might miss is the exploration. The beating the Boss to stumble on to a new location. The Coop and Invasions aren’t there as well. There Isn’t magic but you can get a ranged weapon. It’s not exact and it’s not perfect, but it is really, really quality clone. It’s the most fun I’ve had with a Souls -Like, and they really left me wanting more. Hopefully they expand on this Universe, and give us a lot more like this in the future. I loved it as A Souls fan, and I think you will to.

  • Shell variations delivers replay value and different approach styles.
  • Hardening mechanic can lead to some fun battles.
  • Delivers a real challenge that encourages exploration and upgrading.
  • Really feels like a Souls game at times.
  • Kind of Short for Souls-Like, But priced fairly for it’s length.
  • Wish there was more locations,was left wanting more.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

If your looking for a game to fill that Souls void. You aren’t going to find anything much closer than this. Mortal Shell does a excellent job in doing so many things you know and love from original Souls. They will leave you wanting more, and waiting for their next installment to the series.


Comments

Popular Posts