Prehistoric Dude

 


"Prehistoric Dude"

Reviewer: Console Carl
Publisher: Ratalaika Games
Developer: LightUP Games
Release: 8/12/2020
Platforms: XBOX, Steam, PS4, Switch
Price: 4.99


Hey there Gamer Guys and Gals we are back with another review for another Ratalaika game. These guys just keep pumping out the games every week, and I always look forward to them. Two platformers in two weeks so I was excited to see that as I was so over the novels. Not a fan of those. Easy Achievements, but not as entertaining and fun in my opinion. This time we got what might actually be my favorite Ratalaika title to date in "Prehistoric Dude" It took me back to SNES days and Prehistoric Man on there. Kind of the same concept platforming, and fighting Dino Bosses. In this one though you play as a Caveman who is enjoying his lunch when a Dinosaur comes along and steals your juicy Ham. So that is where your journey begins.

I'm not gonna let a major issue change my opinion of the game. I experienced a glitch where I major weapon wasn't on the map for me. I actually completely finished the game, before picking up the club which is the main melee weapon. So I beat the entire game with the secondary throwing axes. They take two hits to kill enemies, unless charged which I didn't figure out until right near the end. they also aren't unlimited you have to find them in bushes and as enemy drops. So my first play through opinion was that this game is a grind, and would be horrible to speed run, and not a easy 100% completion Achievement/Trophy title.I was wrong though. you'' see in my video review I've finished the game 100% when I pick up the club after reinstalling the title. I'm not gonna let this hiccup on a unreleased title sway me though, because I had a blast with it. After realizing this I realized this would be a excellent game to speed run, and look forward to see people doing so on streams. It also is a easy and quick 100% completion. You might struggle at first while you only have a few hearts and no weapon, but after you get more and the Club it's much more simple.

There are 6 items to find besides the club. There are clubs that help you grab ledges, Bamboo pole that helps you breathe under water, and more i'll let you find for yourself. These will help you explore new areas you couldn't before. I love when games do this to encourage back tracking the map. There are different routes to take as well, and I love how when you get everything you discover the bosses are really just a straight stretch run. They are really cool as well. There are three of them, and all three attack in different ways, and require approaching them in different ways. I won't spoil this either, because that is most of the fun is learning the patterns , and mastering them. I will say the last boss might give you fits and I recommend learning to dodge him before worrying about just attacking. Once you realize not taking damage is the most important part of the battle the better you will do.


I loved the retro feel of this one. It really feels like it could have been on the SNES , NES, or Genesis. The chip tune music is really good, and fits the game perfectly. The map is really unique, and every area feels different. They even throw some weather conditions at you as well. It doesn't really change the game any. I would say it would be cool if you could slip around or something like that, but the game feels kind of slippery any ways. One of my only issues besides the glitch was just how some times just feel off vines, or got stuck cliff grabbing when I wasn't trying to. This wasn't a major issue, but i did experience it more than once. I will say though that could be the controller, as we all know about these modern controllers and drift issues. They are far more noticeable on these retro titles where you have to be precise in your movements. I need to get like one of these controllers with just a D-Pad to play with these it think. I know Hyperkin has a nice one I might pick up since I play and enjoy a lot of these modern retros.

The Achievements and Trophies are fairly simple even though I didn't think so at first. They are for finding the 7 items, beating the first two bosses, and the hardest one isn't really that hard at all but unlock a 100 fruit door. It's the hardest cause you start with only 2 blocks of health, and when you die you drop some of your fruit. After you got plenty of health I found myself opening 3 or 4 in a row without dying, so It's something you might want to do late game. I did it early because I'm impatient and wanted to get the item behind the door. It's easy to just grind parts of area with a lot of grass. Like Boss rooms. Just advancing to the next area will make fruit and axes reappear in the grass. They are random so every time you run through a patch of grass you will find something different, and there is a chance find nothing or food for health. Turkeys and Cake drop for health, You can get a whole turkey or cake for full health or a turkey leg or slice of cake for one bar.

I can't believe I've talked about this game this long, but I really enjoyed it. I think most retro and modern retro game fans will as well. Sometimes you just want a game to enjoy for a evening, and not have to put 30 hours into. Sometimes your funds are low and you want something affordable that you can throw a few dollars at or even cash in your XBOX rewards to get. Prehistoric Dude is that game. You won't regret spending 5 dollars on a game that is gonna give you a quality evening of fun, and more than likely you will come back to it. If you are a speed runner you certainly will as it is set up for you already. It has a timer and completion pct stat for you to use. So if you are thinking of getting into speed running I think this would be one of those to dive into. You are going to have fun, and it's new so you have a chance to compete against other runners new to it as well.


                                                           Fast paced and fun game play.
                                                            Different ways to approach it.
                                                    Nice Retro Look and Chip tune music
                                              Map varies well, and has weather conditions
                                                                  Easy Achievements
                                                             Great Speed Running title.


                                                            Controls can be loose at times
                                                  Experienced a couple hiccups along the way


Overall: 7.8

Looking for a modern retro to dive into and maybe get your feet wet with a little speed running? Prehistoric Dude is your perfect chance to do so. With a funny story, great characters, enemies, and bosses and even cool skills to unlock Prehistoric Dude is a great way to start your speed running adventure, because you are going to enjoy it from start to finish.


Video Review Below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVfMTPicuqw



Comments

Popular Posts