The Last Door Complete Edition Review


"Last Door Complete Ed Review"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Publisher: Plug In Digital
Developer: The Game Kitchen
Platform: Xbox One, PC Ps4

At first glance at Last Door I got really excited. I haven't found anything close to "Alone in the Dark" one of the first horror games that really pulled me in as a young adult. I never will forget the way I felt the first time I played it. I really hoped i'd get the same experience here. I have to say it was pretty close. From the beautiful let me say again beautiful environments to the really creepy atmosphere I was hooked early. From snowy landscapes to eerie looking rainy nights The Last Door just delivers with it's graphic development. Usually retro games just don't look all that great, but The Game Kitchen really put the time in and it shows. Really surprising for something that got it's start from kickstarter. Shows it's good to help people when you can follow their dreams. There is a lot of talented people out there that could use a hand getting their projects off the floor and I love supporting that.
The sounds of The Last door are great as well. This game really is some of the best Indie development I've seen as far as horror. There are so many moments the music, and sounds just have you on your seat then really get you with a perfectly timed jump scare. The sound quality is truly great, the only thing I really would have enjoyed would have been voice acting. There is a ton of reading, and good characters that would have been a huge bonus to hear them, and get the creepy vocals like you got in Alone in the Dark,That was one of the few negatives for me. After awhile just got tired of reading and started skipping over it, and then I was losing my interest in story around mid season two. That being said I was also reviewing it, and trying to rush to get it done in a decent time frame. If I played it normal, and stepped away from it some may have not felt same way about the repetition.
I don't want to say much about the story , because i don't want to ruin that for anyone. I will say it's very well written, and one of the things I most enjoyed about the game. It jumps around really well, and delivers tons of mind blowing moments. I don't see any horror fan or fans of retro games not finding tons of excitement in this one, Lot of moments that will test your puzzle solving skills as well. I highly highly recommend this one to horror fans. I'd go as far as saying my favorite horror title this year.

Pros: Great retro visuals
Creepy music and sounds
Well written story
Cool characters

Cons: No voice acting, lot of reading



Overall: 8.4 One of the best horror titles this generation of gaming. Loaded with creepy sights, sounds, and puzzles that will make you think.

Comments

Popular Posts