"Castle Costume"


"Castle Costume"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Developer: Loveridge Design
Platform: PS4 Exclusive
Release Date: 10/31/2019
Price: 9.99

Castle Costume had me really excited when I got a review code for it in our email. Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year. I enjoy everything about it from it's history, to the rituals, and the decorations. Every day is Halloween to me pretty much so it is exciting when every one else joins in on it as well. So I was stoked to play this. The screen shots really had me excited from the pumpkin head lead character, witches, and ghosts. I just couldn't wait to get to play it. Maybe I over hyped it and was let down, but I really could never get all that into it.The controls seemed really clunky, the music sounded great but really low, the character sounds really horrid, and the fighting mechanics uninspiring and kind of cheap. Every enemy is pretty much one hit, and it doesn't even feel like you even hit them at times. The only real challenge is the mazes , and they just seem at times hard because the controls are so off. There is really little fun to be had with Castle Costume, and kind of sad to see a Halloween PS4 exclusive be such a let down.
You play on four different worlds and there are always 3 simple objectives. You play as a kid trying to save Halloween from another kid who is mad a bully stole his sock. Kind of corny idea. So to do this you must save witches to open a portal to the next area. You must complete a maze, and go trick or treating to do so. The Trick or treating seemed really cool at first until I found out every trick is the same find a few ghosts that are barely hidden. It's so simple it is insulting.This game really could have been so much more. I hope some one does a better Halloween game next year, because this Halloween was a total let down game wise.
Is this game for you? I really doubt it. I don't see many people getting enjoyment out of this one. After doing the video review for this I looked at some reviews, and it doesn't feel they even played it like a lot of people gave it high scores, because they received review copies. If some one played it and reads this and really did like it, please comment and explain why. I'd love to hear different ideas. I know some games just go over more with different people,. So like to hear why you enjoyed it. It isn't like me to really give a game a low score. I always feel every game I play Is some ones art, and I try to find all the positives I just really struggled with this one. Feel it was rushed out for a Halloween deadline or something,and didn't get the polishing it deserved.


Pros: It's a Halloween Game
Some Adorable Characters
Cool Halloween decorations

Cons: Levels seem uninspiring
Controls clunky
Enemies and combat weak
Sounds are awful
To easy, and just not fun

Overall: 4.0



I hate to bash some one's art, and anything Halloween being it's one of my favorite times of the year, but "Castle Costume" is just a huge let down and a pass even at a low price.

Comments

Popular Posts