"Music Racer"



"Music Racer"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Publisher: Sometimes You
Developer: AbstractArt and Light Road Games
Release Date: January 28, 2020
Price: 6.99

I'm sure this review will be one of my shortest, but here goes. Music Racer is a rhythm game where you drive on a map, and just collect beats. The maps are bright and beautiful and really catch your eye. If you have ever looked at 80's retro stuff that is bright neon purple with the big yellow sun, and palm trees that is basically what you get as far as maps. I'm sure you know what I am talking about it's quite common and popular right now. The maps don't all look the same though there is a lot of variation in them. There is 14 different types, and they all are very unique in their styles. My favorite are the 80's retro ones. Each one the skill varies because of how the map is laid out. Like hills can make it hard to see where the beats are placed ahead. You start with I think three, and the rest are unlocked by using the beats you pick up on each play through. You pick them up, and can only lose them if you hit a obstacle. I think you lose like 14 beats buy smashing into them. I'm not 100% sure on those numbers though. That is just what I thought i noticed while playing. If you play on hard you completely die on obstacles though, and have to completely restart the level. There is also a cinematic mode to just relax and watch. The whole game is relaxing though. Music Racer is one of those games you can just sit back, and chill and play stress free. Which is good because it is going to be a grind unlocking all the levels and 25 cars.

The cars are awesome many of really cool classics as well as just random fun stuff as well. You can change their colors to so you can drive your favorite color Lambo around. There is Tron cars, Knight Rider, Back to the Future vehicles, etc. So many choices. That is one of the awesome things about this game is just all the options. The amazing bright colored maps and cars will keep you playing for hour after hour, but that isn't even the best part. The music is what really steals the show. There are so many really amazing tracks. It is very easy to get lost in Music Racer. You can tell from my video I just got into it, and really just zoned out playing it. I don't think there was a single track i didn't enjoy. Except maybe the one that copyright striked me when I posted my "Let's Play" to Youtube lol. I been getting a lot of Copyright strikes here of late, they need to fix this if they want people to showcase their games. My favorite was probably "Calling" one of the few songs with vocals. I really like this song, can see myself playing this game time to time just to hear the tracks over. Maybe with the Cinematic mode which allows you to just watch and listen. That is the thing that is most appealing about Music Racer is the Audio and visuals. There isn't a whole lot to say about the game play. It is just basically switching between 3, 4 or 5 lanes of a road collecting the beats, and trying not to miss them or hit things. I found the D pad the best way of doing this. Seemed when I used the actual controller some times that it wasn't as responsive. I recommend the D pad on this game.

So who is this game really for, and is it for you? I think this game is really just about for any one., If you love racing games, good music, or just bright colorful things I see you just falling in love with Music Racer like I did. I have been playing it like crazy. and have had a hard time putting the controller down to review it. I know I'm going to come back to this game over and over, and hope some other people make games just like it. Yes long and difficult games are amazing. It is great to spend 60 dollars on a game, and battle your way through it for 60 to 100 plus hours and feel like you got your money worth on it. It is also fun some times to spend under 10 dollars on a game and enjoy it for a evening, and not have a ton of stress. Well Music Racer sees your price point and gives you a game you will enjoy for a evening, but also return to it over and over again. You will never get tired of the sights and sounds Music Racer is one of the most beautiful games to watch, but it is also one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a game. I'd go as far as saying if you were in a club, and the DJ loaded this game up and ran through the playlist the party wouldn't stop, the dance floor would be packed.

Pros:
Beautiful Bright colored environments
Tons of awesome vehicle options
Addicting soundtrack
Tons of replay value
Modes to keep you playing over and over
Easy Achievements
Cons;
Really Basic Game Play
Can be a grind to unlock everything
Overall: 7.2
Music Racer is nonstop head bobbing addictive music, with beautiful and colorful vehicles and environments. One of those games that you will be coming back to again and again.


Comments

Popular Posts