"Neon City Riders"


"Neon City Riders"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Developer: Mecha Studios
Publisher: Bromio
Release :3/12/2020
Price:19.99
Platform: Xbox One X
So nothing drives me crazier than reading bad reviews on games because "They Are To Hard". I was looking over some before I started playing this just to get a idea what lied ahead for me. I read and heard things I always hear when ever a reviewer can't handle the challenge of the game. Things like unfair, impossible buggy, people will quit early, etc. I get so tired of this. I would love a reviewer to come out and just say it was to difficult for me so I lost interest or just plain couldn't do it. You will never hear that though , because some people have so much pride. Most the time I don't even know where it comes from, because they suck and quit at video games you'd figured they'd suck at and quit at most everything else. I'll tell you now there is nothing wrong with "Neon City Riders" I had no issues with it, and I actually find it to be quite brilliant.

To me it actually felt like a classic Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis title. It reminded me of "Zelda: A Link to the Past" meets "River City Ransom" two games I was really quite fond of back then. The combat feels very much like a classic overhead Zelda title. Learning patterns, and counter attacking. You have to make your way through screens full of traps that require a lot of timing, and remembering the exact pattern. The story and just overall vibe really give me that River City feel where your trying to take back your town over ran by bullies. each boss has his own area, and each is unique with his own enemy and environment type. So it always feels really fresh as you advance. You will know early if you should maybe try another area first by the difficulty, but that is no issue because there is fast travel available.

You start the game though with a tutorial that allows you to feel you at full power, and then quickly takes it all away. You learn the basics like buying food to heal, and talking to NPCs for extra quests. When you are put into the real world of the game you have nothing, and must grow in power. You will have plenty of people to talk to, to aid you on your journey. You will have to do fetch quests and such for them giving it a real RPG type feel on top of just a 2D beat em up. You will have a inventory and mission quest list, but still feel like you are mean't to I believe lost in a city and trying to be a hero.

I loved the music it can feel repetitive at times sure, but it still fits in really well overall. I just loved the look of the game though. It really has a beautiful retro look, but with super high quality cut scenes. The story delivered by really amazing animation just pulls you in, and gives you a feel for each of the bosses. They each feel really epic in their own way. The Collector and The Gator were my two favorites. I think their areas were my favorites as well.

Yes there is a real challenge I'll warn you ahead of time. A lot will probably give up, and that isn't the developers fault. That goes on the player. Not every game has to have an easy mode. Every game isn't made for everyone. Some people enjoy a challenge, and some people just have more skill and determination than others. We aren't all the same. I'm pretty good with a basketball and a hoop, but next to Jordan or Lebron I'd look very average. Same goes for gaming as well. Some people are just better with a keyboard or controller than others. When you lack that skill and you are a reviewer it's time to be honest and look at other aspects of the game to give opinion on maybe, or just admit it and leave it for some one else maybe. To me though I don't think it's to challenging If you actually put the effort in. If you learn the patterns, and actually take your time. To me it's just a overall great modern retro that deserves to be noticed , and played. I hope people don't see these negative reviews, and think it's bad or to hard because it is neither of those things.

Pros:
Awesome Animated Cut Scenes
Wonder Retro Looking Graphics
Cool Bosses,Characters, and Enemies
Challenging Traps and Attack Patterns
Bad Ass Protagonist in my Opinion
Cons:
Repetitive Music at Times
Some May Give Up Early due to Challenge
Overall: 8.4
Neon City Riders is a perfect nod to the 16 bit era classics. It really feels like it could be a remaster to one of those classic titles that started it all. I grew up loving River City Ransom, and this took me back there for awhile. I really recommend to fans of that era.


Comments

Popular Posts