"Overpass"


"OVERPASS"
Reviewer: Carless Yen
Publisher: Bigben
Developer: Zordix
Platforms: PS4, XBOX, Switch,PC
Release Date: 3/17/2020
Price: $49.99

Overpass isn't your typical racing title. You have to get out of the mindset of the typical Sonic the Hedgehog mindset of "Gotta Go Fast". Over pass is more about trying to clear obstacles, and keep all four wheels on the ground. I know that sounds really simple but it certainly isn't. Overpass uses pretty spot on physics that require you to lean with your vehicles and approach things at the right angle. It makes you think about on coming things rather then react quickly like you would in games like "Forza" or "Mario Kart". Making your way through things like seesaws, tires, logs, and so much more is really fun and challenging. I could see not all people relating to this title though. I see it as a kind of limited market honestly. I enjoyed it, but I could see a lot not doing so. I've noticed a lot of bad reviews so far, and I understand some what but it really isn't a bad game at all. It is really a decent game, especially if your looking for something more unique. I think it's for a market of racing fans that love the genre, but are tired of just spamming the right trigger to the max to just speed through the same old maps made up of curves and fancy cars. "Overpass" delivers such a different and unique style of play some probably aren't used to. I'm not defending it though, I really can see why some might not be into it like I was. It really took me a long time to get it down and understand the driving mechanics. I spent 80% of the time on my side wrecked than I did on my actual wheels. I spent a lot of time haring loud engine revs as i was stuck on a hill I just couldn't climb. Once I got it down though I started to enjoy the other fun things about the game.

One of these things would be the beautiful scenery. Six different environments making up over 40 tracks overall. Jungles, Deserts, Arenas, Woods, provide amazing places to look at. The sun looks just beautiful on my 4K television shining over such beautiful locations. You can even race at night, and see them all lighted up by the headlights on your UTV or ATV. One of the bright spots was just how amazing it all looks. The same goes for your vehicles. powerful buggies and quads from major manufacturers, such as Yamaha, Polaris, Arctic Cat and Suzuki. They are all can be upgraded and customized with the money you earn in the huge campaign mode. It will really challenge you though. I suggest getting the mechanics down before tackling this though. It will be really frustrating if you try to tackle these extreme off-road environments and game's highly technical tracks. Vehicle damage is real, and if you don't understand what you are doing you will spend most your winnings repairing vehicles other than repairing them.

The Narration in this game really caught my attention. I tried to find out who it was, but was unsuccessful. He has a really unique and country sounding voice you aren't gonna find in another game like this. Well maybe a Nascar game, but I haven't played any quality Nascar games in years. The narrator really delivers, and honestly one of my favorite things about "OverPass" I wish he was actually in it a lot more. The music is decent, but very limited. I found myself turning the music off, and the games sounds down. The music gets really repetitive after awhile. To be fair this happens a lot on most games for me, especially sports titles. The engines can be really loud as well when your stuck on a hill slowly crawling up it so I suggest lowering the volume a tad when playing it. None of these are major cons though. The challenge and obstacle passing fun far out shines these minor things.

The game modes are quick race where you can just pick where and what you want to do/ Online multiplayer but I was unable to play that being that it isn't released yet. I found one guy and he was idle probably waiting for someone to join. Campaign is where it is at though. Tons of content and races. Giving the game a lot of replay value. Trying to beat your times, and try different vehicles while upgrading them. I wish they would have thrown a mode on here that relates to every one though. Would have been fun to just have some tracks and races aimed to the guys and gals that like to go fast. Could have really delivered something we have been missing a good Nintendo 64 Excite Bike experience. Battling other competitors through jumps and obstacles. I think it would have related to a lot more people then. I think the content there is for a select audience. I know a few people like myself that will enjoy it, but I don't think it will have mass appeal like regular racing games. If your looking for something different this is for you though. I just like to see games for very well in sells especially when developed this well, and hope I'm wrong about it not relating to a large part of the racing community.

Pros:
Realistic Physics
Beautiful Environments
Tons of Replay
Challenging
Gnarly Obstacles
Cool Customizing
Fun Campaign
Narration is EPIC
Cons:
Won't relate to a lot of racing fans
Spend a lot of time on side rather than wheels
Music can get repetitive
Wish it had some actual races against AI
Overall: 6.8
Overpass isn't a bad game at all like I've seen from a lot of reviewers. It's just a unique experience they aren't used to. It's a challenging game, that goes against the typical mindset you are used to from racing titles that you have to go fast. The obstacles and mechanics can be a blast if you take the time to learn a little.


Comments

Popular Posts