"StarCrossed"




"StarCrossed"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Developer: Contigo Games
Publisher: Whitethorn Games
Release Date: 4/29/2020
Price:9.99
Platforms: Steam, Xbox, PS4, Switch

Any one remember "GEM" from the 80's with the cartoon Rock band? When I first saw "StarCrossed" I kind of got that Vibe. It just reminded me so much of that old cartoon visually. I had no idea what it was about, or even that it was a COOP title. So I was really going in to my review blindly. I also won't lie I struggled to get into it like I thought I would at first as well. Playing alone was possible, but at times felt really difficult. The graphic novel like story kind of bored me out as well at first to. The more time I invested though the more and more I started to enjoy it a little. I'm one of those people who have to really give a game the time it deserves before I can really slap a review and score on it. It really didn't feel like my type of game at first I can say with all honesty. I really felt it was made for females more or less, and made to be played with others. I was male, and had no one to really play it with during this isolation period so i wasn't getting the full effect. Then I had a friend come over, and I was like you want to help me with this game a little. I hadn't got all that far, so figured I'd do better playing it with some one else. That is when the game really came alive for me. I really started to appreciate the COOP aspect, and even the story a little bit more.

Yes it stills like it was made for females more than males. It just has a really cutesy vibe to it. You can choose between 5 female characters, all with their own unique power up. There is nothing wrong with that don't take what I said the wrong way. It is good to have games that appeal to all, and StarCrossed really does that well. It is 5 really cool female leads that are wonderfully designed and well written for. They will really be pleasing on the eyes, and you will be invested in their stories. Even more than that though you will be addicted to their game style. It is a pretty simple "PONG" like design where you and a friend, or you alone pass a star back and forth banging it into enemies. You both control a character each or you can control a character with each stick on your controller. I don't highly recommend going it solo it can be tough to control, and doesn't deliver the same amount of fun and companionship. You will however have a blast playing it with a team mate though.

There is Story Mode and Arcade Modes. The story is where I was talking about the graphic novel like section. I'm not huge on these to be honest. I enjoy them if they are voice acted, but StarCrossed they just use weird sounds as a voice. That is something I have never liked in games. I think I'd rather hear amateur voice acting by some one on the development team over just weird sounds, and having to constantly read over it. So the story honestly never really dragged me in. That is okay though because it isn't where the fun is in StarCrossed in my opinion any ways. Also I'm sure to some one else it was pretty epic. People have different taste, and where StarCrossed story might not have related to me, I'm sure there are a ton of people out there who loved every second of it. To me it slowed down the action between levels, but to some I'm sure it was a delightful rest before the next section.

The Arcade mode was my favorite though. Non Stop action getting more and more difficult as you go. Never knowing when your run would end, and then after It did seeing your name on the leader boards. This is where Star Crossed delivered to me the more competitive aspect of it all. That is why I felt it really had some thing for every type gamer. Also with it's affordable price, i just felt it really begs to be played by all the fans of COOP games. If you are looking for something to play with a friend, or especially a daughter "StarCrossed" is without question a great option. She is going to love it without question. The communication is a must to do well here, so it will also inspire a lot of chat back and forth. This could be handy in a lot of ways I can see. So certainly worth grabbing if looking to pick up some communication levels with some one.

I just love the look and sound of "StarCrossed" PearlPixel did a excellent job delivering a spacey and magical type feeling in it's soundtrack. I enjoyed it a lot. I also loved the animation and bright, bright colors. they just explode on to your screen and the enemy and character designs are just adorable. There is no doubt that a lot of time went into it's creation.This could very much be a modern Anime, and I'm sure it would have a large audience. So even if it might not appeal to you, I'm sure you will appreciate these two things about it. It wasn't that appealing to me at first, so take that into mind. Some times you just have to give things a chance, and be more open minded about trying different things. Usually in the end you will find all the little things that make it good, and what the creators were going for. I highly recommend this to COOP gamers at the price of 9.99, and think it is a most own if you have a daughter at home bored from being stuck inside so long. She is certainly going to enjoy it, and you probably will start to as well.

Pros:
Colorful and Bright backgrounds
Wonderfully designed female leads
Affordable COOP fun
Leaderboards and competitive feel
Excellent Music
Cons:
Annoying gibberish communication in the story telling
Story just didn't appeal to me
Overall: 7.0
StarCrossed might not appeal to every one at first, but with a little time invested in it I feel everyone can find some fun there. With it's affordable price I think it should make it's way into a lot of females, and Coop fans video game collections diservingly. So if you are stuck at home with a daughter or niece, and both bored out of your mind grab "StarCrossed" on the 29th and they will love you for it.
Review with Screenshots below:
http://gamerguysandgals.com/starcrossed/


Comments

Popular Posts