"The Inner Friend"


"The Inner Friend"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Developer: PLAYMIND
Publisher: PLAYMIND
Release Date: 04/28/2020
Price: 14.99
Platform: Xbox One X

I love horror games, and i usually play about every one that gets released. It seems lately that most of them are just loaded with cheap jump scares. The Inner Friend really doesn't abuse that in their title. There may be one or two in the whole game. It really uses psychological elements, mysterious storytelling , creepy bosses and areas, and a melancholy like experience to deliver it's point. Right at the opening to the game as you see a creepy nude faceless man rolling around in his bed you realize you are in for something different. The Inner friend is really like nothing I've played before. It takes you back to the man's childhood, and all the fears he faced that molded him into what he is today. He enters this world, and battles with his child like self all of his worst fears in life. It's an experience I'm sure most feel in life. Fears that we can't get over, and they haunt many of us still today in our grown lives. That is what i loved about this game. The serious and realistic battle of the things that haunt us most. The child returns to beautiful well designed locations like School, Barber shops, Hospitals, Just places that we all feared as children. They do an amazing job at making them all feel scary.The creatures in the game just freak you out even if most aren't a real threat. The game has very few threats, and it is mostly puzzle solving yet you still feel out of place and uneasy about it's locations and surroundings.

The puzzles aren't super challenging and some are just really simple. There are Achievements though to make them more difficult. Things like getting them done without failure or in a certain amount of steps. Things that might make you have to replay a level or two. I only had to play one over, because I had missed one of the mirrors in the barber shop. You can't miss any of them for the Achievement so I had to replay that one over once. It still only took me barely over an hour. That was one of my only cons really. I wish it had been a little longer, but I could see it feeling repetitive if it went to far beyond that. Any more with as many games as we are getting in sometimes I love a shorter game that only takes up a evening, especially if it's affordable like this title. There are 8 levels, and most of them are super short, so replaying them doesn't feel like a hassle if you mess up. So in my opinion this is another great title for the Achievement hunting fans,as well as the horror ones.

The sounds and music are really well done. They added to the spooky vibes you get from the level design. All in all it is really well designed. I experienced zero glitches or issues. I never had to restart the game or anything like that which is common this Gen. The controls can feel a little clunky at times, especially in the level where your trying to stay on platforms and are surrounded by electricity. I managed to get through it with no death, but had some really close calls because some times he feels weird to control. It wasn't anything major though that took away from the experience at all. My feeling towards this game is mainly positive. I loved my time with it, and hope to see a sequel soon. Or more from these guys with another horror experience. I think they get it, and know what it takes to deliver a fresh feeling horror experience. I know it's the most fun I've had playing a indie horror game in a long time.

Pros:
Creepy Bosses and Environments
The Music and Sounds add to the spooky Vibe
Storytelling and theme a lot can relate to
An overall Melancholy feel to it all
Affordable
Fun Achievements
Cons:
Very Short
Kind of Easy
Controls can feel clunky at times
Overall: 8.5
This is a can't miss for horror fans in my opinion. It delivers a fresh feel and idea in the genre. The locations, storytelling and enemies are all very unforgettable. This is one that will stick with you, and probably call you back to it over and over.


Comments

Popular Posts