"Zero Zero Zero Zero"


"Zero Zero Zero Zero"
Reviewed By: Super Contra Carl
Publisher: Ratalaika Games
Developer: Alvadrop Games
Release Date: 02/05/2020
Price: 4.99
Platforms: Switch, PS4, Xbox, Vita, Steam
"0000" is a 1bit platformer that really takes you back to the days of the Atari and Coleco. In those days you weren't really given a story, and it feels the same with this. Unless I just didn't research it enough in that case I apologize. I did look for info on them and the developer , and I couldn't find much so I came up with my own story like I used to do while playing the 7600 back in the day. To me I was a Indiana Jones type adventurer trying to retrieve ancient relics like some kind of golden egg or crystal skull. Then I had to escape the tomb, cave, etc traps with the Loot. This probably isn't right, but hey that is what is special with a 1 bit title. You aren't spoon fed a story, it is left up to you to decide what is going on in this black and white adventure world.That is how I played it, and would love to hear what every one else took from it as well.

There isn't a ton you can really say though it is super basic. There are 100 levels, and they will randomly appear as you beat a level or die. When you die you just go to another there is no break in the action. So it stays really fast paced. There is a timer at the bottom to see how long it takes you to clear them all.You will start to see them appear over and over as you finish a lot of them so you can learn the lay out of the traps, and how to make your way through the room. It can be very tough and I enjoyed the challenge. Like most Ratalaika games though you don't have to completely finish the game. Most the Achievements are for completing the levels, and the most you have to compete for a complete 1000 is 35 levels I believe. I was able to get a complete game in around 30 minutes.

Another thing I enjoyed about this game was the music. It is pretty darn good. it never feels repetitive even as you try to complete some of the same rooms over and over the music still feels very fresh and upbeat. I enjoyed my experience so much overall. It is a good way to spend a evening for retro game fans. It is even fun to play with a friend. It really has the appeal of a speed runner game. It is a whole lot of fun learning the fastest ways to beat missions. I could see a lot of epic runs, and fails of runs with this one. I really hope to see some people streaming runs of this soon, it would be a blast to view some of the more talented runners playing this.

Pros:
Really fast paced action
Lots of replay and speed running appeal
Cool soundtrack
Spot on Controls
Easy Achievements
Cons;
Not going to blow you away visually
Overall: 6.5
Zero Zero Zero Zero is a pain to say, but a lot of fun to play. This game is going to fill some evenings with a lot of action, and has a real chance to be a speed running delight. I truly hope so.

Comments

Popular Posts