"Claire"


"Claire"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Claire is a 2D sidescrolling survival horror game with a very retro Silent Hill type feel to it. Claire is about a girl that is searching for her comatose mother in a very, very dark hospital. The entire games atmosphere is this way extremely dark. Every area of the hospital is full of creepy sounds, and monsters. Your never really at ease in this game, and it doesn't help that it is kind of hard to find your way around. You have a map, but there are so many doors, sometimes it feels like that is all your doing is opening doors. Claire really has not self defense, so that adds to the eery atmosphere. You can run, and you can hide besides that pretty much helpless. Only warnings you have is your dog, or a change in the sounds and music to the room. All you can do is run, but that drains energy faster so they certainly captured the vulnerability aspect of it. That really adds to the total experience of survival. The fact you have to find actual save locations also factors into that.
The controls of the game ran smooth, never had any problem with that. I had heard of people experiencing glitches and broken areas in the game, but that was never the case for me. The story was decent in my opinion, didn't blow me away or anything but didn't bore me either. The art design was very retro, and simplistic. Feels like a lot of 2D scrollers. The level design was a little annoying, but that was probably intentional to add to that lost feeling. For me though I just felt like I was opening doors for hours, would preferred have a more clear of a route, and more story, and hours of gameplay. I feel as if you knew your route you could beat this game in a couple hours. I'm a huge fan of the survival horror genre, and was really excited for this one. To me was kind of a let down. It kind of made me want to replay Whispering Willows again.
This is my opinion though, like every review I post. I have seen a lot of others with good reviews on it. I'd def try it for yourself, and see what you think,and let us know. Like I said I've seen lot more positive reviews then negative. Mine really isn't going to be negative, as I didn't feel it was a bad game. I really just felt it was mediocre, and could been so much better. I do feel it works well, and is playable though. It is certainly worth at least one attempt at it, to see how you feel about it.
Pros: Creepy Sounds and Atmosphere
Smooth controls
Captures the feeling of fear and solitude
Decent story, and lead character
Cons: Level design can get annoying
Just to many doors, and rooms with no purpose
Overall: 6.7 A decent 2D survival horror adventure. That is worth a try, but isn't going to blow you away or anything.


Comments

Popular Posts