"Arise: A Simple Story"


"Arise: A Simple Story"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Platforms: Epic, XBox, PS4
Developer: Piccolo Studios
Publisher Techland
Release Date:12/3/2019
Price: 19.99
Sorry for a couple things before we start. Sorry for how long it took me to get to this review, I've been a little piled up plus the Holidays. Also let me apologize for how many times I might use the word beautiful in my review. I did a video, but the commentary on it I just stopped , because I hated talking over the beautiful scenes and music so I cut my words short, and mainly just left the rest of the video to be viewed and listened to. I will cover it however far more in depth in the written hopefully.
In Arise You can control the environment around this older gentleman to proceed through levels. He can do really cool things like raise and lower the water, control the snow, lightning, fire, and many more. It is a really cool concept, and I had a lot of fun using the ability. You must jump and climb your way through the levels until you collect all your memories. Let's get it out of the way though. That is the only flaw in the game is the controls at times. They can seem kind of clunky, and the jump can feel off at times. That being said it doesn't take much away from this title. It is easy to overlook when everything else is so flawless and beautiful. So let's forget about that, it's such a small part of "Arise" and the positives far out weigh any negatives with this title.

Now that we have got that small negative out of the way let's talk about where the game shines. I don't think I have ever played a game that made me say the word beautiful so much. In "Arise: A Simple Story" you play a older gentleman in his afterlife. He must wander the world he lived in to collect memories.The games story is beautiful and really sad at times. It's story is one of love and loss and you really feel all of the ma's emotions as you control him. The cut scenes really touch your heart every time you reach one. This game does a excellent job at making you feel something and that is very important. I can't remember that last time I felt this way playing a game. It was probably "Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons". This game isn't as jarring and sad as that was, but it almost gets there. It really makes you think and feel and that is something that really makes it such a powerful story in my opinion.

Here we go with the word beautiful again. The level design of "Arise: A Simple Story" are pure development perfection. Everything around you just grabs your attention and makes it hard to play at times because you just want to look at everything and take it in. Every area even the ones that are mean't to be dark and scary are just so easy on the eyes and I marveled looking at each one. Snow covered worlds, dark caves, stormy woods, sunflower gardens, streams and so on just really pop and make you sit and stare. It was really one of my favorite worlds to experience this year in a game. I really have to give hats off to this team on it's level design. It isn't only easy on the eyes, but it is also well developed as far as how it is setup. You really have to look around to find your way and hidden objects. You don't mind doing that though and that is what is unusual. You will want to take in as much of each level as you can. It will take you a little over 3 hours to complete your journey, and leave you wanting more. If you are an Achievement hunter you will prob dive right back in to grab the ones you missed. You can level select once it's completed so you'll have no problem getting back in there. I really can't wait to hear others opinions on this after I'm done writing mine up. I plan to go read other peoples views. I hope some of you play it, and leave me comments on what you thought as well. There are parts of this game where I was just mind blown at how beautiful it was. Like on one of the levels it's dark and these creepy guys are approaching and you can control the lightning to scare them off and it was one of the most beautiful things I ever seen in a game.

Are you ready for the world beautiful again? Well it's coming. You can not talk about "Arise" and not talk about it's soundtrack. You can't talk about "Arise's" soundtrack without using the word beautiful. It is without question one of my favorites of the year. If I had heard it before doing my Game Awards no one reads, I would have gave it best soundtrack no question. I will remember it come next year's though. The music is just so elegant at times you sit down your controller to take it all in. I stopped talking on my review and cut it short because It felt disrespectful to talk over it. The word beautiful really doesn't even cut it. It just fits perfectly within the story, and makes you feel so much. Arise is just a perfect overall experience of feelings, and I highly recommend it to any one. I really hope some one reads this, and gives it a try and loves it like I did.

Pros:
BEAUTIFUL Perfectly designed world
BEAUTIFUL unforgettable soundtrack
BEAUTIFUL thought provoking story
Fun Achievements and hidden items to collect
Lovable Protagonist
Cons:
Controls and jump can feel clunky at times
Overall: 9.2
Arise is a can't miss experience in gaming, from it's beautiful world, soundtrack, and heart warming story it leaves you wanting more from this team at Piccolo. 3 Hours just isn't enough from these guys, and their amazing developed developed game.I will certainly be watching out for more from these guys in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts