"Externum Ex"


"Externum Ex"
Developer: Zerouno Games
Platforms: XBOX, PC, Switch
Release Date: 12/10/2019
Price: 12.99
Externum Ex is a modern Retro title that does a very excellent job at looking like a 16 bit classic title you'd play on a SNES or in the Arcades. It really looks the part, and the colors and textures all take you back to that time. When i saw this in the store I was really excited to give it a try. I collect retro games from this era, and Love them, so when someone releases a modern game with those look and feel I usually get excited and enjoy a lot. There is just something about that era, that the games look beautiful, and just never feel or look dated. You see a old 64 game or PS1 when they first converted to 3D graphics and such, and they just look so dated. Most old disc consoles do to me. There is just something magical about the 8 and 16 bit era to me. So was super excited when we received a review copy for this.
I will warn you this review might sound like I'm being negative or I didn't have a good time with Externum ex, even more with my video review, but that would be untrue. I had a fairly good time with this title, it all just seems really repetitive though. After a couple bosses, really cool ones I must say it just starts to feel like a chore collecting the same Chests over and over. If this was like a multiplayer game where you battled to collect more chest then your opponent I could see it having replay value or being more fun. After 25 levels of just collecting chests with very little difference between the levels you won't be wanting to see another chest again for awhile. I did enjoy everything else about it though. 

   So don't think it isn't worth your time, or it isn't fun because that isn't what I'm saying. There is fun to be had, I just suggest playing it in small sample sizes. If you played maybe like a boss a day, or something. The bosses are really cool and unique, I couldn't wait to see the next one. You get into this amazing epic boss battle, that you have to learn how to take damage from him. You finally defeat him, and then you are collecting red and green chests again. It starts to feel like a chore more than it does entertainment. It isn't really complicating either so you aren't like taking your time using strats, you are basically just running around doing the same thing over and over. There is a leader board if you are into being at the top. I just don't see many worrying all that much about that.

Enough about the negative though, Externum Ex does an amazing job in it's development. The enemies, bosses, and levels really look like something out of Ghost and Goblins arcade classic. You really feel like you are playing a classic title, and retro fans should certainly try it out at it's affordable price. You may feel totally different then I do about it. I enjoyed it, but you may love it. Every one is different. I might feel it feels repetitive at times, but I can say with out question if this was a SNES or Genesis it would be in my collection. As a modern retro fan, I love it being in my collection as well. There are a lot of positives that out weigh the repetitive feel of it. The way it looks, sounds, and runs so smooth like a classic platformer alone makes me glad to have had my time with it. I really look forward to seeing what else this development team does next. They really know how to capture that era in gaming, and hope to see more from them soon.

Pros:
Looks and Sounds amazing
Plays and feels like true arcade title
Cool bosses and enemies
Neat power ups, and hidden items
Affordable
Easy Achievements
Cons:
Not very difficult
Repetitive at times
Not a lot of replay value
Short

Overall: 6.5
Externum Ex delivers the look, sounds, and feels of the 16 bit classics of the past, but after awhile starts to feel like your doing the same thing over and over. It will excite you once you get to the epic bosses, but bring you back down when your just collecting the same red and green chests over shortly after. It is worth your time though, and I do expect real quality modern retros from these guys in the future, because Externum Ex is just almost there.



Comments

Popular Posts