"Gaijin Charenji 1 : Kiss or Kill"


"Gaijin Charenji 1 : Kiss or Kill"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen
Developer: overGame Studio
Platforms: PC and Xbox
Release Date:Dec 8, 2019
Price: 9.99
"Gaijin Charenji 1 : Kiss or Kill" which for the rest of the video will just be referred to as "Kiss Or Kill" because I've butchered this games name enough today. Is a shoot em up like I have never experienced before. From the very start I just knew I was in for something different. it starts explaining how his father Yoshiro Takahashi in 1998 started working on this game for the Sega Dreamcast one my all time favorite consoles by the way. When Sega pulled the plug on the Dreamcast his project was halted, but in 2017 Yosuke Takahashi his son vowed to see it's completed. I'm really glad he did, because i had a blast with this game. You really just never know what to expect.

It's really hard to review because there is nothing else like it. usually you talk about things like graphics and music, but those things are constantly changing. I did love the music I'll say that even if it got repetitive at times hearing the same songs over and over for combat screens the songs were so good and unique them selves that I could deal with it. The game play is so different one second your controlling a ball through mazes avoiding blades and blocks. The next your fighting aliens like Space invaders, to roaming towns with traps with a actual character like Final Fantasy. Your battling real cool but weird bosses like giant brains, Game Boys, even Sadam Hussien. I told you totally off the wall game. While yes being able to kiss or kill your enemies is unique , nothing is as weird as seeing these strange cut scenes. In between rounds the Dev will pop up doing all kinds of strange stuff, hell not only in between some times during levels. He will pop up, but not only him worms, flies. his mask will take over the screen and you have to clear the level with the distraction. This game is like nothing else, and it really kept me on my toes.

The biggest surprise was for this game, and maybe any game I ever played before. One of the secret levels was a theatre. You could actually sit there and watch the entire Night of the Living Dead movie by the Legendary George Romero. How crazy is that. I had just purchased the Criterion Collection and planned on watching it soon any ways so i thought when will I ever experience something like this again in a game, so I grabbed a snack and just watched the entire movie. The developer putting that in really made me feel this was special game, and a special kind of person to understand the greatest of that film. That is one of those movies that has so many things going on in it besides just zombies. I won't get into it all, because this isn't a review for Night of the Living Dead it's for Kiss or Kill. I'll just say Romero's courage to cast a minority as a lead in a movie in that time is something special. I feel the developer of this game really understands the films importance to horror, and overall cinema as a whole as well. It really took me by surprise, and made me look forward to more games from this guy and team.

"Kiss Or Kill" i'll say again is like nothing I have ever played before, and probably not like any thing I'll ever play again. I review a lot of games, and not very often am i caught off guard. If you are looking for something totally different then you are used to , and your feeling game fatigue from playing the same things over and over. Check this out, it's probably gonna make you feel the same way it made me feel.

Pros:
So Unique, like nothing else out there
Creepy at times
Awesome Music
Spot on controls, a fun challenge
Ton of replay value
You get a free movie lol
Cons:
Songs can feel repetitive
Some the levels feel the same at times as well
Overall: 8.0
"Kiss or Kill" is going to catch you off guard. I really hope you just play it and don't watch my video for it so you don't know what your in for. It's a can't miss in my opinion, and if the story about his father is true, he would be very proud of Yosuke Takahashi cause he delivered his art in a masterful way.

Comments

Popular Posts