Cathedral


"Cathedral"
Written and Video Review
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Publisher/Developer: Decemberborn interactive
Platforms: PC

There has been a lot of games getting high scores of late, and a lot of really great modern retro indies as well. It doesn't stop with Cathedral either. Spoiler alert Cathedral is amazing, and taking home a perfect score. Cathedral you play as a nameless knight stuck in another world. The world is vast and it is challenging. It doesn't give you a set path really. it just turns you loose to discover the way on your own. Its full of really nice looking environments you never feel your stuck in the same place to long. Everything looks unique even the enemies. It's also full of really cool NPCs like what will be most favorite "Soul" he is a little ghost that helps you on your journey.
I can't think of anything to say negative about this game except my character got erased and had to start over. I didn't mind at all, because it's so much fun any ways. I plan to start it over again soon when I knock out some my other reviews. The developers were really nice at helping me with my issue as well. These guys put a lot of work into this game and it really shows. They have every right to take a lot of pride in this one. You can tell they were inspired by a lot of 8bit classics. You can see the love for Mega man, Link to the Past, Ghost and Goblins, and even Castlevania in it. Your taken back to all those classics as you play Cathedral, and everything is done so well. Some things even better than how it was done in those. If this would have been around on the NES it would have been a huge hit I have no doubt. I hope i is a hit today it deserves to be. I'd love to see people speed running this because it is a perfect title to do so where you have so many routes to take. In that case it give me a little modern Dark Souls feel Your just a nameless knight thrown into a world with no idea why your there, and no idea where to go. I loved that aspect of it.
The music was pretty nice quality as well. I enjoyed all the retro classic sounds. This game really feels like a classic. The controls were spot on, and it runs so well. I never experienced another issue my second play through.. I loved meeting the New NPCs and discovering the new areas as I found them. I loved the quests, and even the side quests which is rare for me. Cathedral just really does everything right, and I can't say enough nice things about my experience with it. I hope all retro game fans add this to their library, and talk to us about it. love to hear every one else's opinion on it. So if you grab it let me know if you loved it as much as I did.

Pros: Amazing open world, every area unique
Tons of hidden items
Love for classic 8bit shows
Interest and hilarious characters
Music and Sounds are delihtful
Runs great and smooth controls
Cons: None had restart game once, but didn't really mind

Overall: 10 Cathedral is a can't miss for people who loved playing on their Genesis and NES's or people who enjoy going back to that retro age for a little fun. This game really deserves to be played by every classic gaming fan, and even every speed runner. Don't miss out on Cathedral it's really something special.
#Decemberborn Interactive #Cathedral, the 8-bit adventure

Comments

Popular Posts