"Stranded Sails:Explorers of the Cursed Islands"


"Stranded Sails:Explorers of the Cursed Islands"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Platforms: Switch, Xbox, PS4
Developer: Lemonbomb Entertainment
Publisher: Merge Games
Release Date: 10/172019
Price: 24.99
Stranded Sails is an open world, exploration and farming game where you play as the son of a Captain. Every thing changes though when the ship wrecks and leaves you abandoned on a deserted island. Your father is injured, and you now take over the rescue and well being of his crew. You must find them, house and feed them, as well as make sure every thing goes smoothly on the island.
You feed them by finding different veggie seeds and growing a garden. You Have to plant, water, and harvest it. So you can prepare a huge stew to provide you and them energy. You also will fish in designated areas on the map, and find different breeds of fish. You can use these to also create recipes. These recipes help you regain energy while out exploring the other islands looking for resources, and lost crew members. You can also regain health by taking naps on the wrecked ship. I jokingly call this a napping simulator, because everything just zaps your energy especially traveling by boat or running. I rally hope they fix this , because it's the only real con I had with this game. It doesn't really do anything when you run out of energy though you just find yourself back by your bed exhausted. So there is not really any reason to worry about it all that much. So why not lower the energy used for each action. Like just working in your garden five minutes is enough to wear you out. I feel i'm sleeping more than adventuring and exploring. The stew helps you do things around the camp , but it takes awhile before you can really afford to give up food items to prepare one.

All the islands look really nice, and unique though. I had a good time checking them out, but getting there took so much energy you don't get the enjoyment of exploring before you have to return home. I do like that you can fast travel back though using your map, because would be way worse to have to travel normally back. Still kind of a let down at times having to go all the way back. Each island is full of caves and hills and looted with tons of new veggies, and building materials. They all have different types of fish as well and spices. So you can make some recipes that really refill that energy bar. Fishing if you mess up can really zap it to though. I really hope they fix the energy used, because I adore this game.
You even battle super natural forces with a sword you find by traveling the islands. Stranded Sails does everything right besides the energy in my opinion. I hate to see people bash it for this like I have seen in a lot of reviews. One correctable mistake doesn't make a game bad. Stranded Sails is a really fun and addictive experience. You really get into managing your garden,exploring the different islands, and looking for new ingredients. I haven't been able to step away from it. The fetch quests really don't feel repetitive at all. I enjoyed running around the islands, and felt I always discovered something new there each trip. Some times the energy situation actually aided in that, because I couldn't just run around figuring out where to go on first visit. I had to actually find out where the things I needed were, and where survivors were held up. Some times it mean't a couple trips there.
Stranded Sails really is a fun addictive adventure. Watching your character grow from the son of a Captain to much more. It is really rewarding as you progress, and become what you were destined to be. This little farming and exploration adventure really deserves a chance, and i hope the one small flaw doesn't hurt that. I know I'm not going to give it a bad score over one small issue that can be fixed. I enjoyed every thing else about it way to much. I would recommend it with ease to fans of game like "Yonder" "Stardew Valley" or "My Time at Portia". I beg you if you are a fan of those don't miss out on this , because of a few negative opinions. Stranded Sails is so worth your time , and a adventure you are sure to enjoy.
Pros: Beautiful colorful locations
Fun and addictive farming and exploration
Music is really enjoyable
Interesting characters and missions
Cons: Energy drains way to fast taking away some of the fun
Overall: 7.5 Even though I joke and call this a napping sim while I'm playing it. I still can't step away from the addictive farming and exploring. It is a journey I really enjoyed and plan to replay really soon. Try it for yourself. I really think you will appreciate it more than you expect to.


Comments

Popular Posts