Streets of Rogue


Streets of Rogue
Reviewed by: Koder
Platform: Pc
Developer: Matt Dabrowski
Publisher: TinyBuild Games
Hayo! It's Koder with Gamer Gals and Guys bringing you another PC review. Round two on the reviewing of the games. Let's get the bread!
Streets of Rogue is a rogue-lite game that your goal is simple. Kill off the corrupt mayor. How you do so it is up to the player or players. You are given a simple yet short and easy tutorial on how to play the game from the start. Once completing the tutorial, you are sent to home base. From there, you can check out perks and other goodies that you've unlocked in-game. You can also add perks before going into a stage but those cost chicken nuggets. They're obtainable from completing missions. You can also customize your character or a randomly generated one if you don't care about how they look. Each playable/unlockable characters have their own traits and abilities. Both pros and cons. You can be a stealthy ninja and sneak your way around. Or be like me and mostly go gun-ho kill everyone. Yay for a game with no moral bar!
There's a total of eight stages and three floors per stage. You have to complete random quests within each floor to progress. Each floor is also randomly generated and gets harder each stage. Once you die, you start all over. You keep all the things you've unlocked, but not what the character you had currently. You can unlock new characters, levels, abilities, etc just from playing the game. I greatly appreciate that this game has unlockable characters behind achievements and progression instead of a paywall. It's a breath of fresh air having a game that isn't forcing you to cough up more money for something that should have been achieved from playing the game. The game only saves your current progression after you complete a floor. So you have to complete a floor then quit the game.
You can play either with friends locally, online, or be like me and go solo. This game provides a quick-start mode for quick and random runs. The home base if you want to check out what you unlock. Online mode for people that are ok with playing with your friends at a distance or random people. The daily mode is interesting. The daily mode gives you random scenarios per day with one of the many characters to choose from. I had a scenario the other day that everyone was rocking rocket launchers and I was a cop. That got chaotic fast and I died frequently. The NPCs can do what the players are capable of based on what they are. I had a vampire attack a random slum right next to me in a crowd. Everyone instantly turned around and started launching rockets. They obliterated me as well as the vampire. Gangs will attack other gang members. Now imagine that with everyone rocking rocket launchers. Most of the time I sat there and watch the world burn and occasionally try not to be in the crossfire.
Pros: This game is really fun even though it can be very unforgiving. I appreciate that it has unlockables instead of asking us to cough up more money. I have not played it with others but I bet that will be super fun. I can see my friends making it into a drinking game. The graphics overall are simple and not over the top and that is what makes this game on top of the chaos that you can create. The menu is super simple to work with as well.
Cons: I wish it had a true save file but that’s just a personal complaint. Having your character being perma-dead does suck but it adds a challenge to the game.
Overall: 8.5/10
Streets of Rogue is overall a great game to play. I highly recommend this to anyone that loves a good challenge that reminds you of the unforgiving games from back in the day. Hopefully, we’ll see some form of DLC to expand this game. This game is multiplatform and I will personally get my hands on a copy of this on my switch so my friends and I can play together under one roof.


Comments

Popular Posts