"They Are Billions"


"They Are Billions:
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Platform: Xbox One X
Developer: Numantian Games
Publisher: Blitworks

I usually never give any game a low score. I'm always able to find some enjoyment in someone's art. So I never completely bash it, or feel completely let down by it. I usually play and play it until I'm able to say I enjoyed this or, this was a bright point for me in the title. They are Billions made that really hard though. I played and played it looking for something to say I enjoyed this about it, but really never found any enjoyment in the title. Games usually like this aren't my cup of tea I'll be honest, but I really enjoyed the Townsmen a lot earlier this year. So i thought maybe I'd enjoy this as well. I really didn't, and I have to say it is probably the least fun I have had reviewing a game this year. To be honest it made me want to stop reviewing games, because I hate being negative. I also hate talking down about someone's hard work, and art. I almost didn't review this, and just shut the site down completely. However I said If I'm really honest they will probably never read this anyways so I can be honest about it with the readers, and not worry about offending the Developer. (Hopefully)
The game just seems so predetermined. Like I have to follow a set layout, or I won't complete it. You aren't able to really do what you want to do as far as building without suffering for it. Even on the easy mode there is very little give to being able to build as you want. It almost feels as if you have to build the same way every time you play, and it just killed all the fun for me. I thought maybe it was just my skill, or lack of like for this genre of game so i researched it a little more, and found most reviewers saying the same thing. I even saw some were bashed for giving this opinion in forums, and blocked. I will say this didn't happen to me though, I just saw a couple of photos of people being silenced for negative reviews and comments about the game. My experience with the emails I have received have been pleasant. Another reason I hate to bash the game.
It's your basic SimCity type game where you build your town, and all of it's food, energy, etc resources. You have to keep your town happy and protected from waves and waves of enemies. Like I was saying earlier you have to follow pretty much the same routine to survive, because even on easy the Zombies come quick and relentless. You don't even have to get to the billions because if your not ready the little waves will come, and take you out. Its not really a challenge though, because if you follow a set path you will succeed. That isn't fun to me though. I would have enjoyed being able to follow my own path, and had some free zombie free time and then felt the experience and thrill of the horde. The constant attacking of zombies taking out my small unprepared forces just really did nothing for me.
I will say a few updates to this game, it could take a swing in a better direction. We will see though, they don't seem too be taking reviewer and customer criticism to well so probably set in their ways. I hope not though, because there is a glimpse of hope there. When I was following the pattern, and seeing zombies roll in by the thousands it was exciting for a little bit. If I had to have a bright spot it would be the amount of enemies on the screen at once. If they can slow down the attack though, and have a more exciting build up to that where your allowed to work a little more on your town before hand it could be a lot of fun. Until then they won't be to happy with my score, and neither am I really because it may be the lowest score I have ever gave a game, and I hate doing that with all the potential here.

Pros: Zombies by the millions
Potential is there

Cons: Town development feels scripted
Even on easy , you can't set back and enjoy building
Controls a little off on console, screen moved a lot
Just not a lot of fun at the moment.

Overall: 3.0 I tried really hard to enjoy this game, but it just doesn't seem to speak to me like I hoped it would. I love zombies, and killing them. I just didn't enjoy it with this title, hopefully some changes are coming for it though.



Comments

Popular Posts