The Lost Legends of Redwall: The Scout


"The Lost Legends of Redwall:The Scout"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen
Developed by: Soma Games
Published by: Soma Games
Platforms PC and Xbox

The Lost Legends of Redwall™ is a proud collaboration between Redwall Abbey Company Ltd, Penguin Random House UK and Soma Games. Soma games is a indie company, and this is their introduction into development. I have to say the story telling, voice acting , and beautiful cut scenes are really nice to look at and enjoy. The game play how ever is just a mess right from the start. I had to accept an agreement to even get the review copy. which kind of made me worry, because no other developer has eve really tried to control our content. They had faith in us, and their art and just gave us the code and waited for our review. So it kind of makes me question the positive reviews I've seen for this. Did they feel the pressure? I'd have to say so because it truly isn't a quality release. Honesty is a top priority in my life, and I'm going to tell you what I thought about the game even if it means they don't let us review another game of theirs. I hope that isn't the case, because they are a new indie team, and we love indie and would love to see how they grow.
You can choose to play as Liam or Sophia , and it takes place in the winter before the first books. You are in a race for time to find help against some raiding villainous vermin led by the pirate Scumscout. Can you save Mossflower Wood?
Probably not. I know I didn't The games controls and glitches just were to much for me. I love the story, and if this part of the story made it to book or animation i would without no question enjoy it. So the reason for the low final score will have nothing to do with that. Like the Redwall books the story delivers , and is entertaining. So no fault lies there. I'd also like to say there lies no fault in any of the voice actors as well. The storytelling and acting is without question the only reason this game doesn't get like a two or three rating. The characters are adorable, and fun.The fault lies in the game development. I know this is a Indie game, but I play amazing Indie games all the time.Some of my favorite games this Generation are Indies. Being Indie doesn't give you a excuse to release such poorly designed games. I understand a issue or two it happens, but this game from start to finish is just a mess. Invisible walls, getting stuck on or walking through things. I got stuck under the map, and had to restart 6 times in just a hour of play. That isn't acceptable. I really hope this game has a update coming. I think the potential is there. The story telling and voice acting alone makes it worth the play if it's fixed to a point where it's playable. Right now though I can say my plus thirty years of gaming this is the worst controls I have experienced in a game. If it wasn't for the hard work of the voice actors, and well written story I would have gave this game a two overall. It is horribly designed. The camera just goes all over the place, you constantly have to adjust it. Pretty much every object has to be avoided when moving because you will more than likely get stuck on it. I could have very easy made a 3 hour video that i played it on just glitches, and bad controls.
Right now it just isn't worth your time. The game that is. The story books and animation from Redwall are timeless, and should be shared with all generations. It's saddening that a lot will be introduced by this title. I hope they fix it. The story deserves so much more than this. So for me the game is a HARD pass. Don't let this game be your final judgement though for the other Redwall content. It's very much worth your time,

Pros: Great voice acting and story telling
Cons: Horrid controls
Glitches Galore
Just poor overall game design

Overall: 5.0 Redwall's history of storytelling saves this game from maybe being one of our lowest scores in review history. It's voice acting and story make it playable, if only the game was playable. Hopefully a update comes that makes this what I consider one of the games with the worst controls and glitches on this generation consoles, and makes it at least playable so people can enjoy the storytelling. I know tis review will probably mean I never get another Soma game, and if i want to finish the franchise I'll probably have to purchase it myself, but honesty is important to me as well as our followers. I can't lie and say this was a great experience when it was maybe one of the worst in the thousands of gaming titles i've played in my long history of gaming.

Soma Games


Comments

Popular Posts