Fragments of Him


"Fragments of Him"
Reviewed By: Carless Yen

Fragments of Him is an interactive narrative experience. That reminds me a little of games like "Heavy rain" and "Until Dawn" with it's game play, but the story far surpasses those titles. It isn't a game for a button smasher, or competitive gamer. It is built for the type of gamer who loves an amazing story, and falls into story driven campaigns like they would a good book. Fragments of him is a story of love and loss,and it tugs at the heart strings. It may not have the same feeling for every gamer as it did as me, so my review might be different then others you see on this title. To me it is just pure art. Not many games have left me feeling the way this game did, and it just feels like the developer gets it. Gets the meaning of life, what is really important. You feel as if they have lost, and they now cherish some really special people in their lives. I don't know this for a fact or anything, but that is how the story and game feels to me. There are moments when you just have to fight a tear, cause the feels are so real and genuine. I can say with ease, one of the most realistic, and inspirational stories in a game.
I don't want to give away a lot because I just feel this is a story that is better played, and not spoiled. I will however tell you what it is about somewhat without giving much away. You know it is about life, and its emotional and I'd like you to feel it for yourself how I felt it. The story is about a man named Will that wakes up day to day in a routine. He wants to get out of this routine, and experience a some what different lifestyle. It is also about the people around him, and how he effects their lives. His friends, as well as his grandmother. You actually play as them as well, and experience it from every angle of the story. I feel the story really drives home the importance of the little things in life. It also really, really delivers the value of appreciation of your blessings.
Me being a man in my 30's i can relate to a lot of this story, where it might not go over as well with a younger gamer. Not only life experiences being shared, but some of the references like Mighty Python and Portishead. I feel if your in your 20's to 30's this game is going to mean much more to you, than maybe a teenager. I hate to really say that because it is kind of limiting its target audience, but it is just an opinion i took away from it. Me falling into this audience range I think it is an artistic masterpiece. I think it is one of the best story driven games of this current Gen, and that is most certainly the most heart felt and emotional.I think a lot of people will walk away from this game with a deeper mindset, and appreciation of things in their own lives.
If I have to say some negatives, which I hate to do with this one. I hate to say the negatives really because I feel this game goes a different way then most games, it has it's own path. It feel its more like a movie, than a game. So saying the game play is limited is kind of a stupid complaint. It is stupid because I really didn't care there wasn't a ton of actual button smashing, and character control. I was so into the story it didn't matter to me at all, but in the end it is a game to. I have to say that, but It won't change my mind about this game, or the score I give it. It is also a little short, which is also a little irrelevant because most these indie/arcade games are and saying that is getting repetitive. I mean would I have loved to have seen how the ending affected his girlfriend and grandmother a little more? Yes I would, did it change how I felt in the end not really. We all know these ten to fifteen dollar games can't have the 10 to 30 hour campaigns and pizazz these AAA games have. They don't have the same type of budget, to be honest this next Gen i been more impressed with these games then I have the AAA games with their delays, and broken games on release. I have been enjoying a lot of these Xbox/Steam/PSN Marketplace titles a lot more then games i have spent 60 dollars on. To me I'd take this over most of them huge market games that left me feeling nothing after.
If you ask me, I say it is a must play. And it has me waiting to see what is next from Mata Haggin ,Elwin Verploegen, and Sassybot Studios.
I really hope a lot of you feel the same way i did about this game. I hope it leaves you, with the appreciation and thankfulness it did me.

Pros: Amazing Story of Love and Loss
Heart felt emotional moments
Artistic Game play and Level design
Beautiful Soundtrack
Great Characters and Character Development

Cons: Left me wanting more, little short
Limited actual game play

Overall: 8.8 A artistic masterpiece that everyone needs to play.
Not only because it is fun, but because of it's message and how it will leave you feeling when it is over..

https://www.facebook.com/GamerGuysNGalsAndAllThingsNerdy



Comments

Popular Posts