Turn On



"Turn On"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen

Turn On is a Indie Platformer that starts off when your city is in crisis, because it completely loses power. An Electrician and a little ball of electricity spring into action, and take you on a heartfelt and amazing journey through a city's power lines that lead straight into your heart. I enjoyed everything about this game from start to finish. I experienced just a small amount of things I'll talk about later, right now I want to talk about all the things I loved about it.
The ball of electricity makes its way through the power lines lighting the way for the towns population. As you make your way along you light street lights, houses, just everything you can think of. Seems repetitive I know but it isn't because as you do this you see how everyone is affected. You'll see kids excitement as they can finish their game of hoops, crooks scamper as you turn on the lights and alarms, couples fall in love as you help them finish their dates. So many cool things happen along the way, and every second of it feels so good.
When the affects of your work upon the story isn't cheering you up, the music is. I have to say one of the best soundtracks in a indie game to date. I loved the music, I even loaded up a couple levels to play over just to enjoy the sounds again. There are 32 levels in all, and will occupy a good 5 hours I'd say, even more if you want to tackle the really entertaining achievements. There is a ton of them, and really adds to the replay value. The ending is amazing, I won't spoil anything, but it is fun and brilliant I reloaded it a few times to watch it over again. To me this is a must own for people who love cute stories, Indie games, and platformers.
The only issue I had with this game is some of the control issues on the power line levels. There are ones where your character moves on his own, and you just have to jump back and forth on lines, there we experienced a few issues with button hits not registering. was it enough to turn us off, instead of on like the title says? No way, even as we had restart a few times, it was so much fun, and the music was so catchy, we didn't mind at all. Just gave it another chance to enjoy the beautiful comic style art in the level design. Everything about Turn On just feels and looks great, and adds up to hours of entertainment.
Is this game for you? I think it is probably for just about everyone. I don't see anyone not enjoying the story, or falling in love with the little ball of electricity as he brightens a city, and so many lives. Do yourself a favor, grab this one, don't miss out.

Pros: Beautiful Comic Art
Music is delightful
Fun Challenge
Heart warming story and characters
Achievements galore


Cons: Controls can be buggy at times.

Overall: 8.9 A little Indie platformer developed by just four people, that delivers a fun, and pleasing experience. You love indies, don't miss out on this one.


Comments

Popular Posts