SuperHot review


"Superhot"
Reviewed by: Carless Yen

Not a typical FPS, Superhot brings a fresh take to the table. It is a shooter where the game only moves when you do. So the puzzle aspects are brought into it as well. You can watch bullets blow by you in classic John Woo feel and style. The challenge is there, as there are many occasions where you're thrown into a level surrounded and unarmed. That being said, you have to make sure you get to the guy attacking first, to disarm him to take his weapon. It's so much fun watching the gun fly out of their hands in slow motion, and pulling it right out of the air to use for yourself. You do have to keep your head on a swivel though, because enemies literally come from everywhere. You will experience your death, but won't be too annoyed because games loads right back up where you left off with little delay. So frustration never really sits in, and the fun just keeps continuing.
There are many of weapons such as machine guns, pistols, swords, shotguns, and etc.. They are all fun to use, and when out of ammo you can throw them at people. The action is very satisfying, and non-stop. The look of the game while rather plain, considering the entire background is white, guns black, and enemies red, it still doesn't disappoint. It looks great watching enemies and items shatter when you defeat or break them.
The menus are really fun and original, a lot to check out while not playing. The whole thing just has that retro PC feel to it, and it is certainly a fresh take on FPS. I kind of felt like I did the first time I played Portal. It felt Iike I was doing, and playing something for the first time and didn't want to step away. I know that is high praise comparing it to the Valve classic, but it wasn't far off. It makes me really look forward to what these guys do next. With the right funding, these guys could make that kind of classic easy. Only thing I felt was missing would have been a cool, retro, spy sounding soundtrack or something along those lines, blaring as I shot down my enemies. How cool would it have been if even the music froze with you? I would have liked the plain colors , and no sound for about 4 or 5 levels then you go into a club, and a bright colored jukebox fires up, and plays the rest of the game. Would have liked a little more story as well, maybe some voice acting, but it is a indie game, and I understand budgets. For the same reason, most of these games don't have Xbox live multiplayer. Making a game isn't cheap, and these people do amazing jobs with the budgets they have. You couldn't really do multiplayer with a title like this, unless maybe the game would just freeze periodically stopping the action, just until it started again. I could imagine that being a lot of fun, as your opponent and team mates sit waiting for the action to continue. Sounds like a interesting idea, maybe if someone will make that next it would be fun.
These minor things do nothing to devalue this title though, just noting a few things that I feel would have added a little to it. Some people will disagree, that is just how it all works. We all have different opinions and likes. But hell, I love this game. Like I said before, I felt like I did the first time I was playing Portal. It is something new and different, and deserves to be played. I have read other reviews about the variety, and see other reviewers saying it lacks. I disagree. The game changes environments, weapons, and situations a bunch. It always felt fresh, and left me wondering what was coming next. Although short, I really enjoyed my 4 to 5 hours with it.

Pros: Cool Concept
Rad Retro PC Feel to it.
A Ton of fun, and Challenge
Neat Menus

Cons: Story and Soundtrack lacking

Overall: 8.9 Short, but sweet bullet dodging chaos. In my opinion a amazing and refreshing addition to a stale FPS genre. Really, really close to being a perfect shooter/puzzler. Although not perfect I feel it's essential, and all fans of Indies and this genre should not miss out on it...SUPERHOT is the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

Comments

Popular Posts